Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Special Brownies


About four or five years ago, I got a cook book called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfield (Jerry's wife).  I bought the book because it was ridiculously difficult to get my kids to eat vegetables so I wanted some ideas of foods that I could sneak vegetables into.  Out of the whole cookbook, the vegetable brownies not only sounded the best, but have been the best received.

I have tweaked the recipe over time and now have my own version of it.  I don't use any vegetable oil because the pureed vegetables make them perfectly moist without it.   Here it is:

Ingredients:
1 Box Chocolate Chunk Brownie Mix
1 Egg
1/4 Cup Water
3 Cups (8 oz) Frozen Spinach (I also like to use Carrots and sometimes I'll do a mix of spinach and carrots)
1 Bag M&Ms (optional)

Steam veggies fully.  While veggies are steaming, set oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare cupcake pan with nonstick spray and unsweetened cocoa (to prevent brownies from sticking to pan).

Puree veggies completely with egg and water.  Empty brownie mix into mixing bowl and add vegetable mixture.  Mix thoroughly.

Spoon brownie batter into cupcake pan filling each cup 2/3 full.  Add M&Ms on top, if you like.  I don't personally care for the M&M's but the kids always ask for them to be on top of their brownies.

Bake for 20 minutes then check with toothpick.

A funny little story about these treats.  When I lived on base in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, I once made them for a BBQ I was hosting and told my friend that they were "special" brownies.  She was a little hesitant but grabbed one so I quickly explained that by special I meant that they had spinach in them.  She quickly set it back down, to which I tried to convince her that she'd never know that if I hadn't told her because they taste great.  Then she explained that, yes, she would have known because she is allergic to spinach!  It was a close call.  Ever since that incidence, I always fully disclose the ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment